Food Standards Australia New Zealand Logo
Food Standards Australia New Zealand Logo

Quick Launch

Contact us

​​​​​Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) gets thousands of enquiries a year. Some of these enquiries are complex and will take time to address. We'll do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.

​Please check our frequently asked questions before sending an enquiry as your question may have already been answered

We sometimes receive enquiries that should be directed to other agencies. Examples of these enquiries and links to appropriate agencies are provided below.

On this page:

Food complaints

If you have a complaint about food quality, safety or contamination you need to contact your local enforcement authority. Find the relevant authority in your area.

Conduct a food recall

If you need to recall food in Australia the FSANZ recall team can help you. For more information, visit our webpage on how to recall food, which explains the steps involved and provides links to useful templates. Read more about how to recall food in Australia.

Label approval

FSANZ doesn't approve food labels. Food businesses are required to ensure their label complies with the requirements in the Food Standards Code. Labelling requirements are contained in Part 1.2 of the Food Standards Code. You can find links to the labelling standards on our Food Standards Code web page. If you need further assistance you can contact a food consultant or lawyer for advice on complying with the Code.

Licences and food business permits

FSANZ does not issue permits or licenses for food businesses. You will need to contact local enforcement agency for information about this. In many areas of Australia and New Zealand Councils are responsible for licenses and permits. Find the relevant authority in your area

Imported foods

FSANZ cannot provide advice about whether or not a product you are wishing to import for sale in Australia meets the requirements of the Food Standards Code. However we can advise you about which standards might apply.

The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry in Australia is responsible for administering requirements for imported foods.

Other enquiries

We will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible. Responses can take up to a week for a simple enquiry or two-four weeks for a complex one. We respond to enquiries in the order they come in and appreciate your patience.



Level 4
15 Lancaster Place
Majura ​ACT 2609

New Zealand

Level 3
154 Featherston Street
Wellington Central WELLINGTON 6011

Postal Address


PO Box 5423
Kingston ACT 2604

New Zealand

PO Box 10559
Wellington 6140
New Zealand


Australia: +61 2 6271 2222

New Zealand: +64 4 978 5630


Australia: +61 2 6271 2278

Related links


Return to top